Beautiful looking enamel basin




These basins have a long history with my family as it has been there for more than 4 decades. I can recall that before plastic basin were commonly used now, these enamel basin were very popular in the past. The plain coloured basin were the older the ones whereas the beautiful design basin were the slightly newer ones which were mostly found in the 70s and the 80s. I remember these basin were used to soak cloth in hot water for cleaning the tables, wash vegetables and storing water. These basin were also used to bath small babies back in the past too.



The enamel basin are very rigid and strong as compared to the aluminum basin. I do have some vintage aluminum basin in my vintage collection and I will blog and share them on my future blog post. But one thing bad about these enamel basin is that the paint will peel off easily when you accidentally drop the basin on the floor or you accidentally hit it hard with another colliding object.



The enamelware have a higher tendency to rust when the painted area is peeled off. The bottom picture shows a nice enamel basin, but the center of the basin has been rusted due to bad storage conditions. You may want to check my earlier blog post regarding about how to take good care of these enamelware for your collection. here.



Most of the enamel basin are 34 cm in diameter and mostly are made in China by various companies. I even have a brand new enamel basin which were not even used at all. The original plastic surrounding the inside surface still remains attached.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Blue and White Rice Grain Porcelain plates

Konica Autoreflex T2

Vintage USHA fan